MGS4 has 90 min cutscenes?

Any and all of the Sony consoles.

Moderator: Thought Police

KmD

MGS4 has 90 min cutscenes?

Post by KmD »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=189543
We know the Metal Gear Solid series is famous for its long cut-scenes, but this tops everything! Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment in Hideo Kojima's seminal stealth series, has cut-scenes (note the plural) that approach the 90 minutes mark.
If true, that's ri-goddamn-diculous. I hated the 7-10 minute cutscenes of MGS2. I can't imagine waiting 90 min, you have to invest that time in advance. It should have a pop-up that says "If you're going to beat Gatling gun Ocelot in the next few minutes, be prepared to hunker your ass down for the next couple of hours; click yes to continue", then "Are you sure?".

Inane_Dork

Re: MGS4 has 90 min cutscenes?

Post by Inane_Dork »

If the MGS games were known for incredible storytelling and dialogue, this might almost be acceptable. But they aren't, so there's really no saving grace here.

MBB

Post by MBB »

They're...skippable, right?

KmD

Post by KmD »

So it seems that Konami imposed a restrictions that reviews are not allowed to talk about the cutscenes in MGS4, EGM responds:

http://kotaku.com/5012146/egm-refuse-to ... imitations

Good for EGM...

Inane_Dork

Post by Inane_Dork »

That's pretty bad. It seems like they're setting themselves up for another MGS2. Intentionally, this time.

For a game with 90 minutes cutscenes, you would hope there's more than "skip" as an option. You would want, and really should get, play, pause, fast forward, rewind, skip between chapters and skip past it all. As well, it would be good if they condensed the most important points in it to a summary cutscene that was no more than a couple minutes long. IMO, anything that long ceases to be a "game" and should be treated as such.

Kojima has always been indulgent with MGS, but this is an order of magnitude more indulgent than ever. No wonder he championed Blu-Ray: there's no way he could fit it all on a DVD. Without further information, it's hard to see this as anything but the MGS team at Konami being extremely narcissist and spoiled by their parent company.

CloudyPrison

Post by CloudyPrison »

I lost interest in the series as a whole. If they wanted to make a machinima they should have just done that and gotten rid of the game play altogether. They were decent games, but not worth the homage their fanbase has created for them...

MBB

Post by MBB »

KmD wrote:So it seems that Konami imposed a restrictions that reviews are not allowed to talk about the cutscenes in MGS4, EGM responds:

http://kotaku.com/5012146/egm-refuse-to ... imitations

Good for EGM...
See! Go go 1up crew!

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

I just picked up my copy today at Best Buy.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

CloudyPrison

Post by CloudyPrison »

http://kotaku.com/5014400/metal-gear-so ... iler-alert
Otacon: Hold it, Snake. Time to change the disc. I know, I know... It's a pain. But you need to swap Disc 1 for Disc 2. You see the disc labeled "2"?

Snake: No.

Otacon: Huh? Oh, wait! We're on PS3tm system! It's a Blu-ray Disc. Dual-layered, too — no need to swap.

Snake: Damn it, Otacon, get a grip!

Otacon: Yeah, what an age we live in, huh, Snake? Wonder what they'll think of next!
Oh god, oh PS3 you feel so good! Right there! Right there!

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

The game is really amazing. The cut scenes, I think are real time. So when I get my cameo suit to match a rock or dirt, I have to go through the cut scenes looking like a huge piece of dooky.

Everything in the game is beautiful. Characters, cutscene, gameplay, animations, story, and the dust is finally off the console. Also with my new Samsung TV, its just heaven.

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

CloudyPrison wrote:http://kotaku.com/5014400/metal-gear-so ... iler-alert
Otacon: Hold it, Snake. Time to change the disc. I know, I know... It's a pain. But you need to swap Disc 1 for Disc 2. You see the disc labeled "2"?

Snake: No.

Otacon: Huh? Oh, wait! We're on PS3tm system! It's a Blu-ray Disc. Dual-layered, too — no need to swap.

Snake: Damn it, Otacon, get a grip!

Otacon: Yeah, what an age we live in, huh, Snake? Wonder what they'll think of next!
Oh god, oh PS3 you feel so good! Right there! Right there!
Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Now I have to watch my step even more to avoid all the fanboy nerdgasms over Blu-ray. Thanks, MGS4.

I've never played a MGS game before, so I don't know what they're like. What should I do about MGS4?

Inane_Dork

Post by Inane_Dork »

My impression from videos and player reactions is that the gameplay is fundamentally old and creaky. While new players will spot this immediately, fans will pass over it as just being part of the game. That said, I've also heard that MGS4's gameplay is the best of the bunch.

I, personally, have no tolerance for inane stories that make soap operas look straightforward.

CloudyPrison

Post by CloudyPrison »

Agreed. Time paradox, crap with Ocelot....*lost*

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

This is my first Metal Gear game, I think everything is pretty cool so far. I put in Splinter Cell Double Agent into the 360 just to compare. I used to think Splinter Cell had kick ass graphics, but now its like ughhh... :( That unreal engine didn't age to well.

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

Inane_Dork wrote:My impression from videos and player reactions is that the gameplay is fundamentally old and creaky.
That's one of my pet peeves, as referenced in RE4's controls or my lack of enjoyment of the GTA3 series.

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

Beat the game last night. :shock:

It was a lot of fun. The last boss fight was epic, like something out of a movie. I think MGS4 had the best ingame cut scenes I have ever seen in a game.

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

I just downloaded the Metal Gear Database from the Playstation Network. I had no idea what the FoxDie was until I read about it on there.

On a side note, I think the biggest difference in cutscenes in Metal Gear from most other games is mocap actors. I hate repetitive hand gestures and body movements in most games. I hope there is a higher demand for the actors now that MGS4 has done it so well.

KmD

Post by KmD »

Hey QK, is it true about the cutscene length though?

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

Yep. All true. You beat an area, you get cut scene, after cut scene you get asked to save, after save there might be a 1 minute load before next area, after save there is more cut scene, when level starts there is message from Otecon, after the message then you get to move character.

The cut scenes are interactive though. Sometimes the screen says tap x to see a flash back during cut scene and sometimes it says press L1 to see through Solid's eyes. During the mission briefing cut scenes you can play as the MK II and gather items while the characters are talking or even change the channel of the TV if they are talking to someone.