So tempted...

Any and all of the Sony consoles.

Moderator: Thought Police

KmD

Post by KmD »

Quick Kick wrote:Just buy the damn thing. Someone on this board needs to own one and keep this section going. I'd buy one if I didnt buy the Wii which I dont play anymore but my wife loves. Wii is for ¶ussies
I always thought we needed a forum villain.

EDIT: (I wonder who'd be the bigger villain? Me being a PS3 owner or QK for his comment, it's 50/50, I think)

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

There's room for two. Professor Chaos or General Disarray.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Remy

Post by Remy »

DngrsDrrn wrote:
Quick Kick wrote:Just buy the damn thing. Someone on this board needs to own one and keep this section going. I'd buy one if I didnt buy the Wii which I dont play anymore but my wife loves. Wii is for ¶ussies
Pssh, I use a 360 as a table to change babies.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saul is on the move.

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

Remy wrote:
DngrsDrrn wrote:
Pssh, I use a 360 as a table to change babies.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The heat it kicks out is good for drying out my delicates.
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/
Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

This week has been so boring. Lets fire it up. :lol:

KmD

Post by KmD »

So I got the PS3 (sans TV, I couldn't fathom havinng the 1080p TV being smaller than the main TV AND being in the bedroom)

Impressions so far (stream of consciousness-style):

-WTF? I guess the HD era begines with composite cables. I did know that it didn't come with an HDMI cable, but no component? This sucks ass... (I already have an HDMI cable, I unplugged the upconverting DVD player since the PS3 does that anyway)

-"Connect the controller using a USB cable" What? they can't even provide a USB cable to initiate the first session/charge on the PS3. IYeah, I have a free USB cable, but this thing is like 3-4 feet long, it's a good 15 feet from the PS3 to my position on the couch.This is bullshit. (CORRECTION: I did find an included USB cable, it rolled under the couch)

-Alright, i'm in. Now it's time to connect this bad boy online. I use MAC filtering so this thing is a pain in the ass. 20 minutes later I'm on.

- What? It automatically connects to my computer? Hmmm, not necessarily ideal. but OK.

- Using a controller to input email address/home address/gamertag is a pain. Yeah, it can accept a USB keyboard, but im not going to look for that shit. (As you can tell im getting frustrated). 30 minutes later, I'm on the Playstation store.

- I'm not too sure of the two people in the world I know with a PS3, but I enter their gamertag in space and hope they accept (they used their X360 gamertags).

- Go and download the Heavenly Sword trailer, yes, "Backiground Downloading" please. (Why is that even a selection?)

- Eh 5 min later and no acceptance of my friend invite. I pop in the "Heavenly Sword" game disc and I'm off

(On an aside, I picked up Heavenly Sword even though it didn't get greaat reviews. I figured 5 hours of gameplay is all I could stand away from Halo3 right now.I also wanted to see THE game that couldn't be done on the X360.)

- OK, "Installing Game"... I wait 2-3 minutes. Do they cheat performance by packing gameplay and then install it on the HD?

- This game is pretty artistically and graphically, the gameplay is smooth, but something is missing. For a hack and slash type game, rumble is an ABSOLUTE necessity. I just don't get the immersion into the game without some type of tactile feedback. (I wonder what kind of reviews this game would have gotten if it had Wii-style controls)

In conclusion, I'm not totally enamored with the system, but it's decent. Not necessarily $500 decent, but I obviously didn't buy it for it's current selection of games.

I got Warhawk too, but don't feel like playing with total strangers at the moment. I also wanted to see what the "free" online experience was like. May God have mercy on my soul.
Last edited by KmD on Oct 11 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBB

Post by MBB »

:lol:

Remy

Post by Remy »

I am trying to talk a girl at work into NOT buying a PS3 for her boyfriend for Christmas.
Saul is on the move.

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

I'll trade you my Wii for it.

MBB

Post by MBB »

We really are a bunch of Xbots, huh?

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

I just want some fun in my life. I don't want to pay out the ass for a system with potential and I don't want to favor a system in which all it does is release retro games to cover up for their lack of new games. Being and xbot puts in you in between, but being a person who can use a mouse and key board puts you on top. I'm in between.

KmD

Post by KmD »

MBB wrote:We really are a bunch of Xbots, huh?
"What do you mean we, (PC)-face?"

MBB

Post by MBB »

BRB- gotta play the Call of Duty 4 demo!

KmD

Post by KmD »

OK, so some Warhawk impressions (once again in the stream of consciousness fashion)

-Another Install screen? WTF is this a PC (BTW, I need to try installing Ubuntu on this thing since I saw that has a an "Install OS" option in the menus)

- OK I'm in, let me find my cousin, ::looks at a list of all 278 servers currently running the game, not there. Presses the PS menu button looking for some type of "Friends" menu, nope. Go to "Community" sees "Buddies", he's in a "Home Page" I can't contact him from the game:::

(BTW, there's a neat little chatroom feature for voice chat, but you literally can not do ANYTHING while chatting. Browse your pictures, start a game, go to the PS store.)

-OK, well he starts a game, I join and we're off and running.

-Crap, I hate inverted controls in this game, let me switch.

- Cool, I got a tank, wait the controls are all screwy again, what? I have to change my controls for each vehicle type too? Ummm OK.

- After getting owned in this game 10 straight times, I tell him to meet me in the chat room again.

- We talk for a while, I can't send him the pics of my kid from the menus sine I can't even view them without getting booted from chat, I grow tired of the "free" experience.

"Hey dude, it's kinda late, but do you wanna play some campaign in Halo 3?"

"Let's do it..."

Not entirely horrible, but a lot of little things that make Xbox Live just work are blatantly missing from the PS free solution. I mean chat shouldn't be such a CPU/bandwidth consuming program that it locks you out of every other feature, they need to fix that. I was pleasantly surprised that they give you a free Bluetooth headset in the Warhawk package, so now I don't have to drain the one I use for my phone for all night gaming.

Oh yeah, the headset AND controller can be charged using the USB ports on the PS3, but the console has to be ON for the devices to charge. That really bites...

KmD

Post by KmD »

80gb price dropped to $499, the 60gb is still at $499 as well.

Hmmm, im more interested in the free Motorstorm game than the extra 20gb of space. Should I exchange it? (Keep in mind that the 80gb also uses software emulation for BC).

KmD

Post by KmD »

So over the weekend, I found out that Wal-Mart has a deal for the 60gb PS3 for $499, but included a free game AND a Blu-Ray remote. Great, I think, I'll just get Best Buy to match the deal or whatever... BIG MISTAKE.

So I walk in, with the receipt and a print out of the Wal-Mart deal. THe guy at the customer service counter cordially greets me and I tell him the deal. He politely informs me that they don't usually match package deals but he'll check the system to see if they had anything going on. They don't he tells me the best thing to do do is return the system AND BUY IT AT WAL-MART. I'm like OK, whatever...

I go home pack the system up and bring my happy ass back to Best Buy to return the system. The same guy's at the counter again, he tells me how it's such a great deal that he's gonna probably order one from Wal-Mart too. I really don't care. He calls a guy over from Media to verify everything's in the box, the guy comes over and asks why I'm returning it. I tell him and he tells the guy at CS that he can match the deal, the CS guy tries to hush him up but I catch the entire conversation. I'm kinda livid at this point since I had to drive back home, wipe the device of all my info and bring it back in. I ask the guy who his manager is and he starts getting all antsy, I name drop since I know the the regional sales director personally and he starts apologizing.

Well anyway, long story short, I still returned the unit. I have a call to make to Best Buy corporate and some kid is probably gonna get fired.

The worst thing in all this is I get home and see on FatWallet that Best Buy had a similar deal running and I wonder if the kid had me return the PS3 so he could could buy it Open Box (I bought the last 60gb in the store).

MBB

Post by MBB »

Ahhhh yes. Good old Best Buy.

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

You never know what you're going to get with a price match, especially on a package deal. Sometimes the sales manager says one thing and the customer service manager says something else.

Remy

Post by Remy »

That is completely ridiculous!
Saul is on the move.