Any and all of the Sony consoles.

Moderator: Thought Police

MBB

E3 PS3EEeeeeeeeeEEEEE

Post by MBB »

Kind of a lame conference, but here's the big news:

$499 for the 20gig pack!
$599 for the 60gig pack!

Pseudo-wii controller with 6 degrees of freedom!

NINTENDO AM CRY

MICROSOFT AM LAUGH

HOT DAMN, THIS JUST GOT A LOT MORE INTERESTING! GO GO MICROSOFT, DON'T BLOW THIS OPPORTUNITY- YOU MIGHT STILL COME OUT OF THIS AS NUMBER ONE!
Last edited by MBB on May 08 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBB

Post by MBB »

Well, hot diggity damn.

The Gran Turismo "HD" looked extremely "meh", but I guess (hope?) that they were using GT4 assets. Still pretty spiffy that it was 60fps and 1080p. I wonder if the "notice the 3 second load times" was a bunch of crap.

Everything else was, well, Xbox 360 quality.

But there weren't any real bombs dropped as far as exclusivity goes- that gives me hope that they might grab some big guns.

Holy shit- Microsoft has a HUGE golden opportunity here- if they do a price drop at PS3 launch, they're going to totally blow away Sony. Though the Core pack is still kind of a dumb idea for not having a hard drive, having a $299 console that can do the same graphics as the $499 PS3 is pretty fucking crazy. If they drop the price by like $50, then they've got a console that is as expensive as the Wii will probably be, but it'll be soooo much more powerful (though MS still sucks for not having a standard HD).

WHOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love this. So much more interesting than Sony just dominating everyone. I've got high hopes for Microsoft's press conference. High hopes indeed.
Last edited by MBB on May 09 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBB

Post by MBB »

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release ... 0509ae.pdf

Hahaha! The $500 pack doesn't have WiFi, or even have HDMI out!

And they had to take out rumble!

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release ... 0509be.pdf

PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm /3.49kg

:lol:

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

For a moment there, I couldn't believe it, no WiFi on the $499? But then I saw that both models have 10/100 ethernet, and that makes sense.

So the $499 is lacking WiFi, 40 more GB, HDMI, and a memory stick reader. And I had predicted Sony would offer only one PS3 at $499. So I guess I was half-right.

Motion-sensing controller. Heh. The Nintendo fanboys are already all over this one. They seem to forget that this is what Sony does.

Inane_Dork

Post by Inane_Dork »

Well, Sony's showing was a HECK of a lot more derivative than I had expected. I thought they were going to come out with a really solid catalog of games that MS really could not compete with. The VF5 and FF news from before Sony's conference was a bigger boost to PR than the announcement.

Can you imagine if MS drops the price of the core system $50 or more? Wow. MS will be hitting the casual market years before Sony gets there. I guess we'll see just how unassailable the Playstation brand is.

But don't expect MS to topple them. I have way too many stories to tell of MS's imbecility when it comes to making their platform attractive. They might, sure, but that would be a real shocker.

Anyone notice that Sony's online service went totally under the radar?

MBB

Post by MBB »

Inane_Dork wrote:Well, Sony's showing was a HECK of a lot more derivative than I had expected. I thought they were going to come out with a really solid catalog of games that MS really could not compete with. The VF5 and FF news from before Sony's conference was a bigger boost to PR than the announcement.

Can you imagine if MS drops the price of the core system $50 or more? Wow. MS will be hitting the casual market years before Sony gets there. I guess wii'll see just how unassailable the Playstation brand is.

But don't expect MS to topple them. I have way too many stories to tell of MS's imbecility when it comes to making their platform attractive. They might, sure, but that would be a real shocker.

Anyone notice that Sony's online service went totally under the radar?

You've got a good point about MS blowing their big chance. Who knows though, maybe they'll do the smart thing. But yeah, I can see their press conference being underwhelming, and them screwing something up in the next several months. But I want to believe!

And yeah, I noticed that about the online service too.

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

Inane_Dork wrote:Can you imagine if MS drops the price of the core system $50 or more? Wow. MS will be hitting the casual market years before Sony gets there. I guess wii'll see just how unassailable the Playstation brand is.

I fully expect them to do so in November. An Xbox 360 Premium system for $349 vs. a $499 or $599 PS3? Yipes! And if the Wii launches at $249, MS can match it with the Core system. However, I expect tomorrow morning we'll hear that the Wii is going to launch at $199.

There was a time when consoles and PCs were separated by a vast rift in price. A Super Nintendo cost $199 when your average decent PC ran $2000. Now you can buy an almost decent PC for the same price as a PS3.

There seems to be rampant speculation as to the origin and features of the motion-sensing in the PS3 controller. Some reports say 6 degrees of freedom, some say tilt-sensing only, others say tilt-sensing plus "some lateral motion detection." I'd really like for Sony to come right out and say what the controller does and does not do.

Inane_Dork

Post by Inane_Dork »

Entroper wrote:I fully expect them to do so in November. An Xbox 360 Premium system for $349 vs. a $499 or $599 PS3? Yipes! And if the Wii launches at $249, MS can match it with the Core system. However, I expect tomorrow morning wii'll hear that the Wii is going to launch at $199.
Yeah, the Wii pricing will be interesting. If MS can match it with the core system, I wonder how the market will react. Even though the two are aimed at fairly different markets, just their identical pricing will incline people to compare and decide between them.

That $500 - $600 pricing is just... just... the single stupidest thing SCE has done that I've ever seen. The console industry just got royally screwed by the movie industry. Should be interesting to see what the response is. Sony *needs* the PS3 to take off. How is that going to happen?

Oh, and did you see in the .pdf file that the BR drive reads at 48 Mbps? In other words, slowly? Load times might be significantly higher on the PS3 because of that.

I'd really like for Sony to come right out and say what the controller does and does not do.
Like THAT's going to happen. :p

Seriously, it might, but after Sony's recent track record, should you believe them if they say anything more than simple tilt sensing?

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

I wonder what's Japan's reaction to the pricing is and would they reconsider buying a 360. I dont know what their situation on HDTV's are, but the price on a ps3 + HDTV seems a bit large just for the entertainment budget. I can see them choosing wii as their next gen console of choice.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Remy

Post by Remy »

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it will cost so much. What a mistake. hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XBOX, baby!

sorry to be a fanboy!
Saul is on the move.

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

Remy wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it will cost so much. What a mistake. hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XBOX, baby!

sorry to be a fanboy!

NINTENDO!!!!!!! ;)
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/
Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

NyQuil Driver

Post by NyQuil Driver »

Nintendo + a Xbox 360 :P

That's the way I'm leaning. :)

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

NyQuil Driver wrote:Nintendo + a Xbox 360 :P

Same with me.

Remy

Post by Remy »

I'm sure I'll do the same.
Saul is on the move.

Entroper

Post by Entroper »

Remy wrote:

It occurs to me, if the Wii is $199, you could buy a Wii and a 360 (at current 360 pricing) for the price of a PS3. HAH!

Inane_Dork wrote:Oh, and did you see in the .pdf file that the BR drive reads at 48 Mbps? In other words, slowly? Load times might be significantly higher on the PS3 because of that.

The press conference mentioned using the hard drive as a cache to reduce load times. The presenter of Gran Turismo HD said the average load time for GT4 was 10-15 seconds, and will be about 3 seconds on the PS3. Of course, it was obvious by the menus that they were 'hiding' the load times, but streaming data from the CD while the player is in a menu is a smart thing.

The PS3 price is still blowing my mind. I expected $499, which was already too high, but I didn't expect you to have to pay $599 for all the features. People with money to burn are going to eat this up, plug it into their HDTVs and surround sound systems, and have a blast. But I think your average gamer is going to look elsewhere...

Inane_Dork

Post by Inane_Dork »

Entroper wrote:The press conference mentioned using the hard drive as a cache to reduce load times. The presenter of Gran Turismo HD said the average load time for GT4 was 10-15 seconds, and will be about 3 seconds on the PS3. Of course, it was obvious by the menus that they were 'hiding' the load times, but streaming data from the CD while the player is in a menu is a smart thing.

Sorry. I'm just reeling at Sony adopting MS's old arguments after they have such deficiencies. Yeah, you can use the HDD to minimize load times. Heck, you can minimize them without a HDD (a la Jak). I just have to say, know how many painfully long loading screens I saw in Xbox games? More than PR wanted me to see.

And yeah, a lot of people are realizing that they can pick up a 360 and a Wii for the same price as a PS3. Now that's an interesting situation.

MBB

Post by MBB »

Remy wrote:

I'm thinking about doing this as well. Although I'll probably still be poor as ever come this November.

Remy

Post by Remy »

So, this PS3 seems to be a BEAST! Bigger than the original Xbox, and heavier too. People ripped on the Xbox for being so big.
Saul is on the move.

MBB

Post by MBB »

Remy wrote:So, this PS3 seems to be a BEAST! Bigger than the original Xbox, and heavier too. People ripped on the Xbox for being so big.

I know! Isn't that crazy?

If the whole "Japan WON'T BUY A BIG CONSOLE!!!!!11" thing is actually true, then you can pretty much guarantee that the Wii will be Japan's next console of choice. But honestly, I have to wonder about that assumption.

I'm really excited for MS's press conference. I came into E3 thinking that Sony would unleash the beat down, but it looks as if it might be the opposite! Come on MS! Don't let me down! GO GO HOME TEAM!

MBB

Post by MBB »

Quick Kick wrote:

Same with me.

Wait wait wait, I thought you'd decided that you wouldn't buy something called "Wii"? :wink:

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

MBB wrote:
Quick Kick wrote:

Same with me.

Wait wait wait, I thought you'd decided that you wouldn't buy something called "Wii"? :wink:

I'll just make my wife buy it for me.

CloudyPrison

Post by CloudyPrison »

Final Fantasy is going to be on the playstation. :(
We'll see how they look. After playing X, I've lost my fanboy taste for FF. Roh Rell....long live 9. :)

Deathstryke

Post by Deathstryke »

THE mgs4 trailer made me wet. :oops:

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

Deathstryke wrote:THE mgs4 trailer made me wet. :oops:

I was a little hot in the crotch also.

Entroper

Re:

Post by Entroper »

Entroper wrote:People with money to burn are going to eat this up, plug it into their HDTVs and surround sound systems, and have a blast. But I think your average gamer is going to look elsewhere...

How quickly things change!

Two years after I posted this:
  • I'd stopped working at Best Buy and went back to college, and graduated.
  • The low-end PS3 now had a 40 GB hard drive, HDMI, and WiFi, and was priced at $399.
  • Blu-ray beat HD DVD.
  • Best Buy was offering $100 off a PS3 when purchased with an HDTV $999 and up. So...
  • I bought a PS3 and plugged it into my HDTV and surround sound system. :P
I love bulleted lists.