The giftless Christmas

Talk about anything you want, just dont talk about that.

Moderator: Thought Police

MBB

The giftless Christmas

Post by MBB »

Anyone ever done this? I've been steering my family towards "utility" and/or "experience" gifts and away from "materialistic" gifts for a while. But coming up, this will be the first Christmas where we'll go completely without- instead of socks and DVDs, we'll have really amazing meals at restaurants, and airfare for travel. I've heard from some folks that this is a better kind of Christmas, while others warn that it "gets weird quickly and is kind of awkward".

Inane_Dork

Re: The giftless Christmas

Post by Inane_Dork »

My family has moved to basically this model, but that's because there are 10 adults and 8 children. Everyone would be breaking the bank every year just to cover everything. And that's just *my* family. That doesn't cover in-laws.

I don't know that it's any better or worse, really, it just felt necessary.

Remy

Post by Remy »

I have never done it. I am like Santa every year.
Saul is on the move.

MBB

Post by MBB »

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'll let you know!

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

I keep trying to do more of that...the rough part is that everyone wants to open something at xmas time.

For me, most of the things I want, I buy myself thru the year. Other than that the things I need are not things you can have someone buy (i.e. I need to find this one specific item on Ebay for my car). When it comes time for the holidays it's more "oh, well maybe I'll want something from store x one day soon so get me a gift card from there".
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/
Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

MBB

Post by MBB »

Yeah, totally. Gift cards are so popular for that very reason.

One thing that always drives me insane is gifts that aren't 100% perfect. I've been on the receiving end of plenty of those, as has just about every one. It just frustrates me that someone has spent good money on something that won't see much or any use. And all of a sudden you've accumulated all of this...stuff.

In years past I adopted the model of figuring out a "blackout" date with everyone, where they would for sure be available to do something. Then I'd photoshop up a certificate or poster that'd tell them what they'd be doing, and put that in a wrapped box. That really worked out well. If you don't do the blackout date, pretty soon it's June and you remember, "Crap, we still need to do that Christmas gift!" Also, you get the fun of unwrapping something and having that surprise.

This year will be the first of no unwrapping. I'm curious to see how that changes things.

Remy

Post by Remy »

This won't work for me. I'm addicted to wrapping paper. I buy lots and wrap lots. I like a huge variety. I don't know where it comes from, but I spend lots of hours watching Christmas movies and wrapping the perfect gifts.
Saul is on the move.

MBB

Post by MBB »

This went beautifully! No weirdness at all.

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

MBB wrote:This went beautifully! No weirdness at all.
It didn't work at all for me. I tried to tell my mom that rather than buying me something she should just cook my favorite dinner. Instead I got a gift card to Outback Steakhouse. Boo.
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/
Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Remy

Post by Remy »

DngrsDrrn wrote:
MBB wrote:This went beautifully! No weirdness at all.
It didn't work at all for me. I tried to tell my mom that rather than buying me something she should just cook my favorite dinner. Instead I got a gift card to Outback Steakhouse. Boo.
:lol:

That is quite funny.
Saul is on the move.