A Song of Ice and Fire [SPOILERS]

Books and stuff? Those things you can't click to switch pages. And sorry kiddies, generally no pictures either.
Kinickie

A Song of Ice and Fire [SPOILERS]

Post by Kinickie »

Thread to discuss the George R. R. Martin books, now the basis of the HBO series Game of Thrones.

Have at it, and no peeking if you haven't read them yet! Remy and Entroper
Being a woman is a terribly difficult task since it consists principally in dealing with men. - Conrad

nijimeijer

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [SPOILERS]

Post by nijimeijer »

I anxiously await ADwD.

Other than that, I'll assume everyone's caught up to the current books.

I'll kick things off with my favorite topics -

* Who is the Ice and who is the Fire in the Song of Ice and fire?
** Clearly, we're meant to believe it is Jon and Dany. This leads to the next question:

* Who are Jon Snow's real parents, since we're all pretty sure Ned isn't one of them?
** The best theory I've come across (and thought myself) is Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. We're never really told what happened in the tower when Ned found Lyanna.

That theory works perfectly on a number of levels:

* It explains why Ned really told Jon or anyone who Jon's mom was
* It explains why Ned would claim him as his own (to protect him, to protect his sister)
** See, he knows that Robert, or anyone really, would have either wanted to kill Jon (for being a Targaryen, and for being the actual direct heir to the throne - his claim would be stronger than even Viserys' claim) or force him to claim the throne. By claiming he was his own, he hid that from folks.
* It explains why Ned was so quick to allow Jon to join the Night's Watch - even if people found out who Jon was later, he has sworn his oath, and can no longer claim the throne. He'd be safe at that point (like old Aemon).

My hope (guess) for the end - Jon and Dany as King and Queen with Tyrion as Hand. Basically, join the Starks of the North, the Targaryens from across the sea, and the Lannisters of the South, producing a relatively healthy regime.
Never frighten a little man. He’ll kill you.

Kinickie

Post by Kinickie »

nijimeijer wrote: * Who are Jon Snow's real parents, since we're all pretty sure Ned isn't one of them?
** The best theory I've come across (and thought myself) is Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. We're never really told what happened in the tower when Ned found Lyanna.

That theory works perfectly on a number of levels:

* It explains why Ned really told Jon or anyone who Jon's mom was
* It explains why Ned would claim him as his own (to protect him, to protect his sister)
** See, he knows that Robert, or anyone really, would have either wanted to kill Jon (for being a Targaryen, and for being the actual direct heir to the throne - his claim would be stronger than even Viserys' claim) or force him to claim the throne. By claiming he was his own, he hid that from folks.
* It explains why Ned was so quick to allow Jon to join the Night's Watch - even if people found out who Jon was later, he has sworn his oath, and can no longer claim the throne. He'd be safe at that point (like old Aemon).

My hope (guess) for the end - Jon and Dany as King and Queen with Tyrion as Hand. Basically, join the Starks of the North, the Targaryens from across the sea, and the Lannisters of the South, producing a relatively healthy regime.
That's my theory as well, and based on the series title it does seem like things will end up this way. It'd be terribly disappointing to have figured all this out already when there are several more books to go...
Being a woman is a terribly difficult task since it consists principally in dealing with men. - Conrad

nijimeijer

Post by nijimeijer »

Also, I'm *assuming* the Hound is at the monastery. But we don't know for sure. I really hope he's alive.
Never frighten a little man. He’ll kill you.