Books I've read lately

Books and stuff? Those things you can't click to switch pages. And sorry kiddies, generally no pictures either.
NyQuil Driver

Books I've read lately

Post by NyQuil Driver »

I completely forgot this forum existed until I saw a new post in it.

I've finally read Farenheit 451, never read it before... it was pretty good, but there's much better corrupt/controlling government books *cough* 1984 *cough*

Also I read Freakonomics, it was a fun read... not exactly something you can read twice though...

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

I'm currently in the process of reading this gem:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Unleashed Second Edition.

It's pretty informative. I have some books that aren't computer related on my amazon wish list, it's just the point of buying them and having time to read. :(
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/

Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

I need to read...
I'm bored with the internet...

Quick Kick

Post by Quick Kick »

Does reading webpages count?
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

Only if there are pictures!

<post 716>

Deathstryke

Post by Deathstryke »

I just finished The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, and I had noooooooo idea he was such a good writer. Really amazing stuff. I`m now reading Fight Club by Chuck P. (I can`t spell his last name.)

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

Fight Club is a GREAT BOOK!!! I stole it from one of my ex-girlfriends a while back, and then when I finished it, i lent it to my friend Beth (whom also happens to be another ex girlfriend) and she never gave it back! :) it's a damn good book though!

<post 722>

Jaded

Post by Jaded »

do textbooks count...i hate school.

i just got done (Finally) with the screwtape letters by cs lewis i think i may go read abolition of man next.
<---- Going to use the Chewbacca Defense!

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

"the screwtape letters" ?? by the name, it sounds like the grammar would suck.. doesn't sound like a good book..? am i wrong?

<725>
Last edited by Chips Reynolds on Aug 23 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NyQuil Driver

Post by NyQuil Driver »

I'm trying to resist the obligatory "you spelled grammar wrong Mr. Nit-pick" post.

Anyways, I don't think the grammar in the title is bad... How is it any different than something like "The Lewinski Interviews"? It's a collection of interviews with Lewinski. This is a collection of letters that fit into the screwtape moniker (whatever screwtape is - never read the book).

It's a fantasy book anyways, so there's lots of leeway for making up words anyways... but the grammar sounds fine.

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

Yeah, I mispel sumtimez... soory boot dat!

<729>

nijimeijer

Post by nijimeijer »

I'm reading Manifold: Space by Stephen Baxter. He has really big ideas, and he knows how to grab your interest at the beginning of his books, but he starts to wander ... and wander ... until you stop being as interested. By that point, though, he has you in his grasp, so you go ahead and finish the book.

Looking forward to picking up Stephen Brust's latest Vlad Taltos book, as well as Feist's latest.
Never frighten a little man. He’ll kill you.

Deathstryke

Post by Deathstryke »

I like how funny Fight Club is in a super sarcastic way.

`We find our power animal. Mine is a penguin.`

Remy

Post by Remy »

I finished the book Serenity based on the movie. I love the movie and series, so I wanted to read it. It was a quick read, but I didn't like the style the author wrote in at all.
Saul is on the move.

Deathstryke

Post by Deathstryke »

I finished Fight Club, and the ending was kinda ho-hum. It was nice reading a more modern novel though, as the authors I usually read died a long long time ago. Chuck P lives in Portland so maybe I should pound on his door and ask him to autograph my book. =D

MBB

Post by MBB »

Deathstryke wrote:I finished Fight Club, and the ending was kinda ho-hum. It was nice reading a more modern novel though, as the authors I usually read died a long long time ago. Chuck P lives in Portland so maybe I should pound on his door and ask him to autograph my book. =D

Most people I've talked to said that Fight Club was one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book. Do you agree?

NyQuil Driver

Post by NyQuil Driver »

MBB wrote:
Deathstryke wrote:I finished Fight Club, and the ending was kinda ho-hum. It was nice reading a more modern novel though, as the authors I usually read died a long long time ago. Chuck P lives in Portland so maybe I should pound on his door and ask him to autograph my book. =D

Most people I've talked to said that Fight Club was one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book. Do you agree?

Myself I'd agree with it. I was suprised how short the book was. Usually you get a 400 page book condensed into an hour and a half of film. With this you get a short book (forget exactly how long - 150 pages?) in a 2 and a half hour movie.

I did enjoy the end of the book though, it was nice to get a (somewhat) different ending.

Chips Reynolds

Post by Chips Reynolds »

Yeah, I actually liked the book a little more just because of the more-in-depth you got with the psychological meaning of the story..

But it is very odd, to read a book that was only like 150 pages (and had semi-larger print than normal books) to be made into an over 2 hr movie..

Deathstryke

Post by Deathstryke »

I am currently reading

Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory And the Search for Unity in Physical Law

It's kinda technical.. no equations, but it gets pretty deep into quantum field theory. I'm liking it though.