Playing DS2 online

Quality hack and slash.
Odine

Playing DS2 online

Post by Odine »

First off, you'll need http://www.hamachi.cc/

The program is completely free. What it does is creates another network interface that mimics a VPN. It's very easy to setup and even easier to use. The "special" thing that needs to be done for this to work is only on the hosts end. Clients and hosts need the program tho.

It works like this.

1) Host runs Hamachi, disables his PRIMARY interface (network connection, not Hamachi).

2) Start the game, go to local area connection, and host a game in the lobby.

3) Tab out, and restart your primary interface now. Hamachi will now connect now that Internet is available and all is well.

4) Have people connect through your Hamachi nickname. Then connect to your game.

Firewalls and the like will not interfere with the program. What exactly is happening is forcing DSII to choose Hamachi as your primary network connection, so the game is hosted on that. What this means is people coming over "vpn" will be able to see your game, however your local area network (if you're playing with other people on the lan), won't. They will also have to use Hamachi.

That's pretty much it, the clients don't have to do anything special. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but it's free, *shrug*.
Odine

I hate DngrsDrrn...no really, I do.

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

Also note that in order to play the game multiplayer at all (whether you're alone or with others) you'll need to have Hamachi installed and running before you start DSII, otherwise it won't find a LAN at all.
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/

Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Buddha

Post by Buddha »

I run it fine with out anyone else just going multiplayer to level my character and I dont have hamachi installed darren ... so what do you mean it wont find the network ?
DerDrache The Dark Dragoon LVL 57 Overlord

Odine

Post by Odine »

We're talking about over the net tho. The client has to have Hamachi working and running before he tries to connect to the "vpn" server.
Odine

Buddha

Post by Buddha »

ok the whole wheter alone or with others kinda through me off. I guess
DerDrache The Dark Dragoon LVL 57 Overlord

Odine

Post by Odine »

Using Hamachi and playing through a tunnel VPN... is unplayable.

I mean it works... if that's what you want to call it. But trust me on this one, it sucks ass.
Odine