Tycho on the new patch

What game? Does it rox0r's? Is it free *hint hint*? Who's playing?
Odine

Tycho on the new patch

Post by Odine »

From http://www.penny-arcade.com

The Scion, Part Three

Fri, July 08 2005 - 4:30 AM
by: Tycho

In the end, the solution was inelegant. In any case, the "Package" was retrieved. I don't know what the hell you want from me.

I didn't need to see a news item to know that the Battlefield 2 "patch" was responsible for instability on servers - I merely needed to be present while each theater I connected to winked out of existence. I'm not sure what was so broken before that it required a poultice of such questionable efficacy, because our very real issues haven't been resolved, and instead new bad problems have been introduced.

The new patch does this awesome thing where if you "Update" the "Server List," what actually happens is that all servers are erased from it instead, and in order to bring them back you must restart the game. This would be less of an issue if, upon quitting the game in question, the music didn't just continue to play for thirty seconds or more while the machine shudders like a crew capsule on re-entry. This is all completely aside from the fact that your teammates's names can show up red, or that when you're resurrected the game can (and will) change your class, or that when your teammates are on any terrain that isn't completely flat it's virtually impossible for the medic class to bring them back.

Last I heard, they were considering rolling back the patch. It's hard not to make the parallel to Tribes 2, where a succession of strange "fixes" and partial resolutions slowly eroded the game's base of support. I'm really wondering where we've gotten to if the largest publisher in the world can't actually execute on the sure-fire sequel to one of the biggest action franchises in history. It's irresponsible, it's unacceptable, and if they persist in this the community will answer in a clear voice:

"We purport to be angry, but it is largely an ethereal anger, suitable for forums on the Intertron. There is no connection between my willingness to purchase shoddy products and the continued production of said products. At any rate, there is no connection that I am able to perceive."
Odine

I hate DngrsDrrn...no really, I do.

DngrsDrrn

Post by DngrsDrrn »

roffleiron!

If you click refresh, which in every other damn game goes and pings the servers that are already there in your list, it will remove and update the entire list.

Update removes all the servers...ugh.

And the one and only time yesterday that I quit out after one or 2 matches the damn computer sat there playing music for a minute after the client was closed.

F this game, man.
It done blowed up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20342222@N00/sets/110634/

Odine wrote:No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Odine

Post by Odine »

Lol, the game's so hot when it does work. What a shame EA are fuking tards.
Odine

Sandr0n

Post by Sandr0n »

Odine wrote:Lol, the game's so hot when it does work. What a shame EA are fuking tards.

its not ea....well partly it is...but only for relying on the jerriatric Gamespy

star wars battle front had the same ghey ass problems....again...gamespy

they suck professionally
Youre no daisy, youre no daisy at all

Afka

Post by Afka »

Sandr0n wrote:
Odine wrote:Lol, the game's so hot when it does work. What a shame EA are fuking tards.

its not ea....well partly it is...but only for relying on the jerriatric Gamespy

they suck professionally

Anyone who thinks naming their software "GameSpy" has issues to start with..
Dont fuck my girlfriend or ill smash your house.

Sandr0n

Post by Sandr0n »

Afka wrote:
Sandr0n wrote:

they suck professionally

Anyone who thinks naming their software "GameSpy" has issues to start with..

lol no shit
preach

Weazal

Post by Weazal »

Yeah :(

Odine

Post by Odine »

The pings are so fucked. It says i'll ping 500, but it's more like 40 lol.

I got to play for like an hour before my computer just shutdown to protect itself from... nothing. Lol, cause there ain't shit wrong. Which means if no overheating is going on, and the power supply is functional. That it's getting fed memory errors and it only happens in BF.
Odine

Sandr0n

Post by Sandr0n »

i had that music thing happen drrn

i fixed it by clicking the desktop icon next to the start button

but all these other problems u all talkin about i dont have

shit runs beatifully for me

Weazal

Post by Weazal »

Odine wrote:The pings are so fucked. It says i'll ping 500, but it's more like 40 lol.

I got to play for like an hour before my computer just shutdown to protect itself from... nothing. Lol, cause there ain't shit wrong. Which means if no overheating is going on, and the power supply is functional. That it's getting fed memory errors and it only happens in BF.

Does it have enough ampage to cover what ya gots runnin?
Cuz wattage isn't really what decides whether it's good for your system or not.

I'm having trouble picking a PS out for the system I'm building right now. :(

Buddha

Post by Buddha »

hes got a lian-li cooling case with a 500 watt supoply. I'm not sure but i think he should have a good powersupply.
DerDrache The Dark Dragoon LVL 57 Overlord

Odine

Post by Odine »

I felt the ramsinks on my video card (9800 pro) and frankly they are way too hot to the touch. The 9800 pro is garbage (at least when I bought it). I think they revised the chip after I got it.

Simple as that. The vid card overheats, power issues start happening to it, and the motherboard shuts down to avoid damage to the agp slot (just my opinion as to what's happening).
Odine

Afka

Post by Afka »

Odine wrote:I felt the ramsinks on my video card (9800 pro) and frankly they are way too hot to the touch. The 9800 pro is garbage (at least when I bought it). I think they revised the chip after I got it.

Simple as that. The vid card overheats, power issues start happening to it, and the motherboard shuts down to avoid damage to the agp slot (just my opinion as to what's happening).

Step 1: Get industrial fan.
Step 2: Ditch side panels.
Step 3: Indust fan+puter.
Dont fuck my girlfriend or ill smash your house.

Odine

Post by Odine »

More like, get new video card cause it's a POS.
Odine

Weazal

Post by Weazal »

I'm thinking you just got a shitty card.

Andy and I both have 9800pros. Mine's a 128 and his is a 256. In the comp I'm building right now I'm gonna get a 9800pro 256 for it too. :D It's a really good card and I really believe mine is what has been keeping this shitty comp i have in the game.

How long ago did you buy yours?
did you buy it new with this new box or keep it from an older comp?

Odine

Post by Odine »

I bought it when they were new still.

I should have gotten a clue they were a bad series when the first two literally NUKED themselves on the startup of the computer. But instead I just modded the third one I bought with an artic cooling system and got it from a different vendor. It's still a piece of shit though. Cost me like 400 at the time too heh.
Odine

Sandr0n

Post by Sandr0n »

fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me

Odine

Post by Odine »

Fool me three times!
Odine

Weazal