Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Jan 19 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 08 2011 11:03 am 

I always heard good things but never put down the cash. However last night I saw that it was free, and ended up playing it for about two and a half hours. Good lord is this an addictive game. And soooo satisfying.

Last edited by MBB on Dec 08 2011 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec 08 2011 12:50 pm 

Downloading now.

PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 3:58 am 

This game is rather...well, I think this article puts it best:

Quote:
Civilians find ways to make it easy for you to kill them. Yet this behavior doesn’t feel like a bug. It’s not an artificial inflation of difficulty. You quickly intuit that it’s more prudent to let civilians fend for themselves—to be killed by zombies, even—than to risk trying to save them with a well-placed burst of gunfire. You start your game wanting to save civilians, to come to their rescue, but you soon grow to resent them. They complicate things. They become indistinguishable from the enemy. After a while I was amazed, and a little disgusted, how easily my reaction to killing a civilian had devolved from “my fault, bad shot” to “what’s the matter with him, running into my bullets like that?” I felt myself getting angry at civilians, holding them responsible for their own deaths, even though those deaths came at my hands.

And that was the moment when Zombie Gunship ceased to be a light, clever twist on tower defense. It began to feel like something designed to get under my skin. It began to feel like September 12th, the unwinnable newsgame in which the collateral damage of your missile strikes on terrorists converts bereaved civilians into new terrorists. Zombie Gunship became not about leveling up, getting a high score, or even defending my base, but about preventing “collateral murder.” And it seemed to be saying that was an impossible task.

Watching the “Collateral Murder” video, riding along with the Apache crew as the scurrying figures on the street collapse in a hail of gunfire, it’s hard to help feeling complicit in the act. The first-person view from the grainy camera feed puts the viewer right in the gunner’s seat, embedding him in a combat action in a way not seen since Vietnam. The difficulty of discerning insurgent from civilian, bad guy from good guy, becomes palpable. The impossible mandate to kill an enemy who hides among innocents, who preys on your savior impulse, your paranoia, your exhaustion: this is modern warfare.

I’m not sure if Limbic Software intended its zombie game to be a commentary on “the ambiguities and cruelties of modern warfare.” You can have a lot of fun with Zombie Gunship without ever considering that interpretation. But circling my desert outpost, training my blurry camera feed on the implacable, inscrutable enemy below, I wonder if this is what if feels like to operate a Predator drone. The person behind the camera feed has a lonely job.

PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 4:00 pm 

Ha! What a cool idea for a game. Seems to be iOS only though.

Odine wrote:
No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 7:08 pm 

Dude, whatever about the potential for commentary :P . I can't read that much into it. Political commentary aside, this game is indeed a blast.

Primarily because it just has that "Oooh, one more upgrade so I can top my score!" feel to it. I've played the tutorial level like ten times now, just to get upgrades. I haven't even moved on to the next level.

PostPosted: Dec 10 2011 3:00 am 

Really?

I thought about that first thing after playing it. Did you see that Apache video from Iraq a couple years ago where they killed those reporters? The similarities are kind of disturbing; at least to someone like me who thinks about everything way more than normal. So often you'll see a civilian run into your line of fire or you see movement and shoot before you realize what you're shooting at. Just gives one pause.

On the flip side, there's something so insanely satisfying about blowing up a huge group of zombies with a mortar round and seeing this giant cloud of smoke.

PostPosted: Dec 10 2011 3:06 am 

DngrsDrrn wrote:
Ha! What a cool idea for a game. Seems to be iOS only though.

Yeah man, once you have an iOS device it's amazing to see how many games are out on that platform that are not out on Android. I'd love to have this on my phone too, but alas.