Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Jul 23 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasies
PostPosted: Oct 05 2005 11:28 am 

So I was reading over at http://www.rpgamer.com that some of the older final fantasies will be released on the DS and GBA this xmas holiday and later next year. Hooray! Also square sent out a postcard polling people about possible additional ports....one of which was the option to check 'Crono Trigger'. I'd have to say that would be on my for sure purchase list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 15 2005 12:37 pm 

Final Fantasy IV came out for GBA 12/12 hehehe

If Chrono Trigger got ported to GBA I'd go sell some blood to cover the purchase. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 15 2005 12:51 pm 

FF 4 is real fun. I love this one. I've got Rydia and Tellah and am battling my way to the squid dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 27 2005 12:04 pm 

How far is everyone in FFIV? I just turned into a paladin, but I died the first time because I forgot how to do it and had to look up what i was supposed to do online. Its been that long since I played it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 27 2005 2:36 pm 

I just got to where Tellah decides to leave and go murder Golbez.

Odine wrote:
No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 27 2005 2:44 pm 

I just started playing FF4. Girlfriend bought it for me. :D I like how it's FF4, not FF2. By that I mean Cecil has his Dark Wave, and there are no "heal" potions. The translation is really freaking me out, they added so much detail that wasn't there before. Or maybe it was originally there in the Japanese version, and got lost in the first US translation.

I hope Tellah still says YOU SPOONY BARD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 28 2005 11:06 am 

Spoony bard hehehehe
I'm glad the wave is in there, but they fixed a few glitches that I enjoyed having. The Dark elf in the cave was weak to 'tornado' (grav at the time i think) and you could kill him in 1 hit with it. Also Yang's speed has been fixed to make him strong but slower......HE NEVER GETS A ROUND IN....bleh

I'm stuck at the tower of zot and I need to level....griiiiiind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 02 2006 1:24 am 

I noticed that Yang was stronger, but his kick is still doodoo. I'm right at the Dark Elf's Magnetic Cave...I dont have money for non-metal gear so I gotta do some grinding. ugh.

Love this game though.

Oh, what is the point of the King's Pass for that dance show in one of the towns? I bought the pass, watched the dance but didn't see any bonuses or treasure to take.

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 02 2006 2:36 am 

DngrsDrrn wrote:
Oh, what is the point of the King's Pass for that dance show in one of the towns? I bought the pass, watched the dance but didn't see any bonuses or treasure to take.

psch no wonder you had no cash :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 02 2006 1:53 pm 

Just got back to Baron and damn those guards and their pig/mini spells. And I wish Yang had that much HP in my party. :)

I'm annoyed that they changed the Mysidian legend. Many other key lines (you spoony bard) were kept intact, but not this one apparently. And what's with Milon being named Scarmiglione? Is he an underboss for the Lunarian mob or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 02 2006 6:49 pm 

What was the legend originally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 11:45 am 

It seems to me that some monsters take too long to attack, and then some attack way too fast.

I forget what the name of the monsters are, but right there in the woods around Troia there's some porcupine creatures that could get off like 2 or 3 needle attacks on me before I could get one attack in.

In the Dark Elf's cave, there are some snakes that have < 200 hp. I could wipe 4 of them without being hit.

Oh, and did anyone else catch a leopard-like monster in the elf cave named "Cait Sith"?

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 12:53 pm 

Saw that. I'm in the tower of Zot but I still don't think I did enough grinding.

I stopped off at the pig/mini/frog town and got mythril armor only to have most of it replaced the minute i got into Zot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 1:25 pm 

Replaced with what? I have all mythril too (which came in quite handy after Edward did his twin harpin').

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 4:51 pm 

You need the silver (ack! Mythril...) stuff though to survive in the Tower of Zot before it gets replaced. That's the first really rough area, I think I went through 50 or 60 potions there. The magnetic cave is kinda tough until Yang gets his charm claw (forget what they named it on the GBA). Then he absolutely owns those Ogres. It's too bad you can't fly around in the airship after you talk to the sisters in Troia, I wanted to nab a set of Mythril armor.

The Cait Sith was in the original, but under a different name. Like "Black Cat" or something.

I've noticed a few bugs. Sometimes someone will attack, and then without filling up the ATB meter, they immediately get another action. Other times party member A's ATB will fill up and they won't get an action, then party member B's ATB fills up and B goes, then A is allowed to go. Strange.

Just fought Golbez after the Calcobrena battle in the underworld. He didn't have NEARLY enough HP... it used to take me a lot longer to finish him off. I don't think he even got an action before I wasted him with Kain landing and Rydia summoning Titan.

The best feature of this game, though, is its portability. Portable FF4 is the best idea anyone has ever had in the history of the universe. My girlfriend and I switch off driving on road trips, she plays her PSP while I drive and I play my GBA while she drives. Excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 5:53 pm 

Are potions only allowed in stacks of 10 or something? I had 5 inv spaces taken up by stacks of potions <= 10. I couldn't join them together either. I thought you could have stacks of up to 99.

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 7:20 pm 

DngrsDrrn wrote:
Are potions only allowed in stacks of 10 or something? I had 5 inv spaces taken up by stacks of potions <= 10. I couldn't join them together either. I thought you could have stacks of up to 99.

Use the sort command, you can stack up to 99. Your inventory will fill up rather quickly with all the weird items in this version, from Bacchus' Cider to Unicorn Horns to Antarctic Wind rocks. I long for the days of heal potions. Never a diet food or alarm clock around when I need one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2006 10:04 pm 

yeah some chymera thing in the tower of zot hit my group for 200-300 a piece four times in a row and then again after i got a single round of attacks off i was dead before i had a chance =/ i just run away from those now. I murder anything else

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 05 2006 2:35 pm 

Weazal wrote:
yeah some chymera thing in the tower of zot hit my group for 200-300 a piece four times in a row and then again after i got a single round of attacks off i was dead before i had a chance =/ i just run away from those now. I murder anything else

Chimeras usually attack in pairs or with those pudding things in front of them. They don't use Blaze until they're alone. Kill the Chimera first if it's with the puddings. If you're fighting a pair then weaken both of them and finish them off real quick one-two. You can survive two Blaze attacks if you remember to heal between battles, bring plenty of Hi Potions.

The rest of the stuff, yeah, you'll just annihilate with your fire weapons (and vice versa in the Tower of Babel with ice weapons).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 05 2006 3:23 pm 

I'm didnt come upon ANY of them in Zot....are you talking about the second time through?

All I fought were puppeteers and ice dogs w/ soldiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 05 2006 9:04 pm 

CloudyPrison wrote:
I'm didnt come upon ANY of them in Zot....are you talking about the second time through?

All I fought were puppeteers and ice dogs w/ soldiers.

You only go to the Tower of Zot once. You go to Babel twice. I don't remember which area the Chimeras are in.

I'm off to the Sealed Cave. Not real excited about fighting all the trap doors though, or about losing Kain again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 06 2006 12:51 am 

I HATE the sealed cave....that damn Door boss at the end....worst.......ff boss..........ever.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 06 2006 1:20 am 

CloudyPrison wrote:
I HATE the sealed cave....that damn Door boss at the end....worst.......ff boss..........ever.....

I just owned that boss. Piece o' cake. And I didn't even have Excalibur. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 12 2006 1:14 pm 

is IV the one where you get that crazy amazon kid who can copy the enemies spells and stuff, or am i thinking of 3..
the best final fantasy weapon is the spoon, i forget which one that was in too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 12 2006 1:27 pm 

Jaded wrote:
is IV the one where you get that crazy amazon kid who can copy the enemies spells and stuff, or am i thinking of 3..
the best final fantasy weapon is the spoon, i forget which one that was in too..

Gau was in 3 "THOU THOU THOU"
Spoon Dagger was in 2/4.

Odine wrote: