Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Oct 23 2018 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 8:39 am 

some of it anyways...

Quote:
September 20, 2004 - Along with tonight's announcement on the Nintendo DS, Nintendo of America released details on the system itself...which we've quickly formatted for you below:

Launch Date and MSRP: Nov. 21, 2004, in North America ($149.99), Dec. 2, 2004, in Japan (¥15,000). Q1 2005 in Europe and Australia

Size (when closed): 148.7 millimeters (5.85 inches) wide, 84.7 millimeters (3.33 inches) long, 28.9 millimeters (1.13 inches) tall

Top Screen: A backlit, 3-inch, semitransparent reflective TFT color LCD with 256 x 192 pixel resolution and .24 mm dot pitch, capable of displaying 260,000 colors

Touch Screen: Same specs as top screen, but with a transparent analog touch screen

Wireless Communication: IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary format; wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card

Controls: Touch screen, embedded microphone for voice recognition, A/B/X/Y face buttons, plus control pad, L/R shoulder buttons, Start and Select buttons

Input/Output: Ports for both Nintendo DS Game Cards and Game Boy Advance Game Paks, terminals for stereo headphones and microphone

Other features: Embedded PictoChat software that allows up to 16 users to chat at once; embedded real-time clock; date, time and alarm; touch-screen calibration

CPUs: One ARM9 and one ARM7

Sound: Stereo speakers providing virtual surround sound, depending on the software

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering six to 10 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter

Languages: English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian

Color: Silver and black

http://ds.ign.com/articles/549/549922p1.html

Soon I guess we should know the launch titles.

PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 10:19 am 

Quote:
Wireless Communication: IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary format; wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card

Other features: Embedded PictoChat software that allows up to 16 users to chat at once; embedded real-time clock; date, time and alarm; touch-screen calibration

If you're within 30-100 ft of someone, why not just chat with them face to face?

Odine wrote:
No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 11:19 am 

It's not to chat with people you know - it's to chat with other people that have DSs that you didn't know before hand - and meet up to play games.

That and there's lots of instances where you would use it to talk to a friend even - planes, trains etc (assuming they allow wireless on planes?) where you're not seated next to someone - so instead of shouting "I'm bored with this game - what should we play next?" you just write it on the DS.

Not to mention it's just kind of cool, so why not include it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 11:51 am 

NyQuil Driver wrote:
It's not to chat with people you know - it's to chat with other people that have DSs that you didn't know before hand - and meet up to play games.

This would probably work alot better in Japan than in say suburban Detroit...lest you connect with a group of 8-15 yr olds...

NyQuil Driver wrote:
(assuming they allow wireless on planes?)

probably not since they don't really allow cellphones.

NyQuil Driver wrote:
Not to mention it's just kind of cool, so why not include it?

that it is.

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 1:42 pm 

DngrsDrrn wrote:

This would probably work alot better in Japan than in say suburban Detroit...lest you connect with a group of 8-15 yr olds...

Well last time we went to cedar point we weren't the only group of 18-twenty somethings playing gameboy while we waited in line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 2:45 pm 

NyQuil Driver wrote:
Well last time we went to cedar point we weren't the only group of 18-twenty somethings playing gameboy while we waited in line.

I supposed you're correct, but how often do you think you'd be playing gameboy at cedar point as opposed to just around the 'hood?

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 3:24 pm 

Not nearly as often, does that mean it shouldn't be included? - it's still a nice feature - I don't know why you seem to be arguing that a company should not give us more bang for our buck. When the DS was first announced it was still undetermined if Pictochat would be included or sold separate. I for one am glad to have the option at no cost.

Also, I didn't see this earlier but at the $150 price point it also ships with a Metroid Prime multiplayer playable demo. Sure it's a demo to get you to buy the full blown version - but still viva la pack-in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 4:46 pm 

NyQuil Driver wrote:
Not nearly as often, does that mean it shouldn't be included? - it's still a nice feature - I don't know why you seem to be arguing that a company should not give us more bang for our buck. When the DS was first announced it was still undetermined if Pictochat would be included or sold separate. I for one am glad to have the option at no cost.

oh defintely. I would be all about playing games with others thru wireless and such. I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer game on a new(er) gameboy. F1 Race for the orig one was the last time I believe. Anything that doesnt involves wires is ok with me.

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 8:31 pm 

Yeah, the wireless thing is great - I too have never really played any multi, except with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with Justin - and we had planned to bring the cables for that purpose. But I never keep cables with me, I don't think anyone really does. Wireless hand-held gaming could really bring multi-player gaming to the forefront on the DS - and PSP for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 21 2004 10:54 pm 

FFTs menus were to slow for me. The battles were already to long and the menus were slow to navigate. boo. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 22 2004 9:58 am 

the thing that drives me nuts the most about that game (which I've been playing for 24 hours game time as of right now) is when you need to see how close you are to mastering a certain skill from your weapon. I stumbled upon it originally on accident, but when you want to view a different char you have to hit like 3 buttons.

god I love that game

Odine wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 22 2004 1:18 pm 

I'm still playing the Playstation one. You really don't get free reign of the land and adventures and special hidden quests until the last chapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 22 2004 2:40 pm 

CloudyPrison wrote:
I'm still playing the Playstation one. You really don't get free reign of the land and adventures and special hidden quests until the last chapter.

I'm stuck in the PS one...not to mention Odine borrowed it one day and never returned it... :evil:

Odine wrote: