Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Dec 12 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oculus Rift at e3?
PostPosted: Apr 05 2014 2:23 am 

More Valve employees coming over to Oculus. They better not hire all the VR devs, or no one's going to make games for the thing. :)

I found Michael Abrash and Chris Roberts's comments about the acquisition reassuring. The acquisition basically convinced Abrash to join, since before then he was skeptical that they would get enough money to be able to reach their goals.

Still looking very forward to seeing Crystal Cove or DK2 at PAX East!

PostPosted: Apr 05 2014 9:59 pm 

Have you reactivated your facebook account yet, Entroper?

PostPosted: Apr 06 2014 3:33 am 

My Facebook and Twitter remain deleted, even despite wanting to promote a Kickstarter for one of my friends at work.

PostPosted: Apr 09 2014 1:00 pm 

Entroper wrote:
More Valve employees coming over to Oculus. They better not hire all the VR devs, or no one's going to make games for the thing. :)

Why don't they all go and make their own? Gaaahhh. Facebook.

Odine wrote:
No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

PostPosted: Apr 11 2014 6:01 pm 

I wore DK2 for like five minutes today.

It was a big improvement. The optics were the thing I noticed first, and they make a huge difference. The old optics only have good focus right in the middle; these are clear in all directions. With the old optics, you're always looking for the sweet spot where you have good focus, good FOV, and your eyelashes aren't brushing the lenses. The new ones are much bigger and have a much bigger sweet spot and a much bigger FOV, so it's much more comfortable. The headset itself is more comfortable, too, with denser, form-fitting padding.

And finally, the motion tracking really makes it come together. The demo they were showing had you sitting on a couch and controlling mini knights on a coffee table. It's a weird take on a third person action game, because the "camera" is just you. It felt kind of like AR in VR if that makes any sense. And that's only workable because of the 1:1 tracking.

Really looking forward to July. :)

PostPosted: Apr 14 2014 9:29 pm 

Home from PAX now, at a computer with a real keyboard.

I really can't say enough about the optics. The larger FOV makes a huge difference, because you don't feel like you're looking "through" something anymore. The view from the HMD completely envelops you. That, combined with the sharper focus at all angles and the more comfortable padding really makes the headset "disappear" from your consciousness. I was much less aware of the device than I am with the DK1, even though DK2 is slightly heavier.

The higher resolution is a definite bonus, but the pentile display is obvious -- you can see a diagonal grid of red or blue dots depending on what you're looking at. IMO this is more distracting than the screen door effect in DK1, which has never really bothered me. Perhaps the sharper optics made the resolution problem even more apparent. Still, you can see more detail at farther distances than with DK1. I think the improvements they've made in other areas have made resolution their #1 issue even though it's a significant step forward.

My main gripe was actually not about the kit at all, but about the demo and the way the lines were set up! But I'll write more on that later; Kinickie and I gotta go catch up on all the TV we missed. :)

PostPosted: Apr 15 2014 8:04 pm 

Blasted pentile displays. A crappy technology that refuses to die.

PostPosted: Apr 15 2014 10:55 pm 

MBB wrote:
Blasted pentile displays. A crappy technology that refuses to die.

I think it's great for phones. Hopefully Oculus can use some of that Facebook money to develop their own displays and not be completely dependent on off-the-shelf components.

So, I saw at least 3 Oculus-enabled demos, and there were more that I didn't participate in.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253030/
Race the Sun is a spiffy little game where you fly a solar-powered glider through a procedurally-generated obstacle course. The sun starts high in the sky, but it's setting quickly, and you have to collect speed boosts to keep up with it. As it gets lower in the sky, the obstacles cast longer shadows, making it more difficult for you to stay powered. The Rift demo was good but not great because I couldn't calibrate it. The depth felt squashed, ruining the sense of speed. But I'm going to check it out again now that I'm home. I did very much like that I could just look over to the side and see a lot more of the world, because you can find a lot of hidden stuff that way. The map regenerates once every 24 hours, so you can play the same map for a day. The generator has pretty sophisticated building blocks, because there are sets of obstacles that lead naturally into other ones.

http://www.godfactorygame.com/
God Factory is a team-based space combat game. There are two opposing capital ships, and you and your teammates pilot fighters that try to defend your ship and disable systems on the enemy ship. Every several minutes, the capital ships finish charging up their big guns and fire, and the round ends when one ship destroys the other. This was AWESOME in the Rift. Again, I wish I could have calibrated, because the depth was squashed. But looking around while flying is just indescribably cool. The cockpit is almost all glass, so you can look 180 degrees behind you to spot following ships, and track them anywhere they go. My head was on a swivel the whole time. The demo was too short to get a feel for how well the gameplay was coming together, I couldn't figure out how to target subsystems and stuff, but I blew up a fighter and got blown up by my friend while trying to disable his landing bay. He saw me going after it and was out of ammo, so landed, relaunched, and pelted me with missiles. :)

Finally, the Oculus demo itself. I've already been over the hardware with the new lenses and stuff (did I mention the optics are AWESOME?!?!?!?!?!1111).

The demo was called Couch Knights, which is a silly little thing designed not to be too intense for new people. That makes sense to me, but I really think they need to aim higher to show what kinds of things are possible in VR. And YET AGAIN they didn't calibrate! It didn't matter as much for this demo, and the hardware still impressed, but COME ON. Everyone running the booth was a volunteer for PAX, so they were all trained Friday morning and not supervised by anyone who actually works for Oculus.

Also, the line was limited to a single file line that wrapped around the booth once. It held roughly 75 people and lasted for about 20-30 minutes, since there were 8 headsets available to demo. But the annoying thing was that you could never actually get into the line, because one of the PAX enforcers was always standing at the end of it holding up a "capped" sign, and they would make you leave if you tried to stick around to see if the line would open up. Every few minutes, he would allow 2-3 people from the crowd to join the line completely at random. So really, the only way to get into the line was by not trying to get into the line. :doh: That was on Friday morning. By Friday afternoon, they had swapped out enforcers, and the new guy was much less of an asshole and would wait until he could let in a dozen people at once. We ended up getting in that way by hanging around the adjacent booths and wandering by when it looked like enough space was starting to form at the end of the line. But this was clearly the most frustrating part of trying to see the DK2.

PostPosted: Apr 16 2014 3:44 pm 

Really? I think pentile is an abomination on phones, yo. Even with a high pixel density it has such an ugly, blocky look. Even before I knew what it was I remember thinking, "What the hell? Why does this new phone at the store look worse than my three year old Motorola Droid?"

Odd that the Oculus booth was manned by volunteers (or should I say, Facebook interns?). But yeah, not exactly optimal for folks like yourself trying to get the most out of their experience. The calibration issues would really bother me too.

I like the story about the "enforcers" too. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a power hungry punk to make things difficult.

Was the other guy in Couch Knights creepy looking? The faces, man. The faces!

PostPosted: Apr 16 2014 5:27 pm 

That's Couch Knights. The other guy is surprisingly detailed with his jeans and vest. But it was really weird seeing the game try to position his head, neck, and torso based on IK from the other player's Rift. And of course his facial expression was frozen in that sleepy stare, which was indeed creepy.

PostPosted: Apr 17 2014 12:55 am 

That's the one. And like most Unreal Engine games, he has no hair. Hahaha!

PostPosted: Jun 08 2014 9:48 pm 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/co ... on-and-mor

Check it (if you haven't yet). THE POWER GLOVE IS FINALLY REAL

PostPosted: Jun 09 2014 12:42 am 

That's pretty awesome. And hey, it's Brandon!

Looks fairly expensive, though, at $600 for two gloves. That's PS3 launch territory.

PostPosted: Jun 23 2014 2:06 pm 

That glove is a lot better than I assumed it was going to be. I figured it would be some half-assed contraption. It looks really functional!

Odine wrote:

PostPosted: Jun 25 2014 2:21 am 

The guys at work love it. Partially because one of them helped make it. But mostly because it's just pretty damn cool.

PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 11:30 am 

Tell your coworker that because of the video my company purchased one as soon as I showed it to my coworker that develops Rift games.

Odine wrote:

PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 7:00 pm 

DK2 will likely ship this week. :shock:

PostPosted: Jul 31 2014 11:16 pm 

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:banana:

:triforce:

PostPosted: Aug 05 2014 9:14 pm 

DK2 kinda sucks.

Hahaha, no, it's a great piece of hardware, but seriously, nothing works for it yet. There are like a million Unity demos that all pretend like they're DK2-ready, and none of them are, because Unity isn't DK2-ready. The SDK is barely ready, so I'm not surprised. The two demo apps that come with the SDK work. And someone wrote a C# wrapper for the SDK, and amazingly, it works great -- I compiled and ran a demo with perfect head tracking and direct mode.

Speaking of which, I love what they've done with the SDK. Working with the Rift is really, really simple now. You just call BeginFrame before you start and EndFrame when you finish, and it applies the correct timewarp, does the barrel distortion from the render target to the back buffer, swaps the buffers, etc. Getting head tracking info is easy, setting up the render target is easy, it's all easy.

And the coolest thing is direct mode. They've written a device driver that does not treat the Rift as a display, so Windows doesn't try to duplicate or extend your desktop to it, it doesn't mess with Aero or desktop composition or any of that jazz. With the Rift in direct mode, your app delivers frames directly to the Rift without passing Go or collecting $200, and with perfect V-sync and low latency. The first time I got direct mode working in the demo, I was shouting at an empty house about how amazing the head tracking works. Without the latency and motion blur, and with positional head tracking, the world feels way more real than it did with DK1. Objects retain their position and clarity perfectly when you move your head now. I feel like someone put a bunch of polygons in the real world and I can move around and look at them.

PostPosted: Aug 07 2014 5:33 am 

Well, uh, so that's, like, what you get for getting a dev kit, man.

PostPosted: Jan 29 2016 6:07 pm 

MBB wrote:
Well, uh, so that's, like, what you get for getting a dev kit, man.

I'm getting a free consumer Oculus Rift for being a Kickstarter backer! :D 599 US dollars that went toward my new computer!