Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Jul 19 2018 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bioshock 2
PostPosted: Oct 18 2012 5:02 am 

I bought this at some point in a steam sale frenzy and finally got around to installing it. I had a really fun time with the original game, but this one is just not doing it for me. You play as a Big Daddy, so everything is slow and clunky. Probably my favorite thing about the original game was being able to run around and set up traps and things, but you're just so lethargic and chunky it almost doesn't feel worth it. "Gunplay" is pretty horrible. The story is kind of off, and the whole universe just feels a lot cheaper than the prior game.

I'm not sure I'm going to continue. Which is the sad fate of buying games for $5- if they don't impress in the first couple of hours, it's much easier to just be like, "eh", rather than to keep going.

It's really too bad, because the game got decent reviews. Have you guys tried it out?

Also, wtf, it took me almost an hour trying to get this game to run. Had to run several updates, then run Games for Windows updates, in the game, then install Games for Windows software outside he game, then download another Games for Windows update...ughghhh. Not to mention the SecuRom crap that kept crashing.
:cuss:

Post subject: Re: Bioshock 2
PostPosted: Oct 18 2012 5:39 am 

PC gaming is dead; long live PC gaming.

As much as I detest the closedness of iOS, Android, XBLA, etc., I cannot entirely fault those companies for their choices. I've seen what people do with free reign, and it's a mess. PC gaming deserved a swift kick in the butt, and it's the better for it now.

PostPosted: Oct 18 2012 4:50 pm 

My only experience with GFWL is Dark Souls, and after a quick update and MANUAL download of the GFWL client, I was in business.
Although...word of warning.

If you have a spouse that games on the Xbox while you game on the PC...DO NOT add your game key to the same Xbox Live account. Whenever I am playing I am kicked out b/c my wife powers on the Xbox and logs into her Live account. (I'd have her use a regular account but you need to log in as a LIVE account to access some DLC in games....nice.)

As far as BioShock 2 goes, never played it. Sad to hear that it's slow and clunky. Speed was the key in the first one. Let's hope Infinite is pretty good.

PostPosted: Oct 18 2012 7:47 pm 

Inane_Dork wrote:
PC gaming is dead; long live PC gaming.

As much as I detest the closedness of iOS, Android, XBLA, etc., I cannot entirely fault those companies for their choices. I've seen what people do with free reign, and it's a mess. PC gaming deserved a swift kick in the butt, and it's the better for it now.

I was blown away by how horrible the service was. I'm so used to how steam has made everything incredibly easy and seamless that this was quite a rude shock.

PostPosted: Oct 18 2012 7:48 pm 

CloudyPrison wrote:
My only experience with GFWL is Dark Souls, and after a quick update and MANUAL download of the GFWL client, I was in business.

If you have a spouse that games on the Xbox while you game on the PC...DO NOT add your game key to the same Xbox Live account. Whenever I am playing I am kicked out b/c my wife powers on the Xbox and logs into her Live account. (I'd have her use a regular account but you need to log in as a LIVE account to access some DLC in games....nice.)

As far as BioShock 2 goes, never played it. Sad to hear that it's slow and clunky. Speed was the key in the first one. Let's hope Infinite is pretty good.

Yeah, I have high hopes for Infinite- but if I remember correctly well over half of their team leadership has jumped ship.

PostPosted: Oct 19 2012 10:38 am 

MBB wrote:
CloudyPrison wrote:

Yeah, I have high hopes for Infinite- but if I remember correctly well over half of their team leadership has jumped ship.

They lured one of my very good friends there this spring. He moved all the way to Boston. AND, he took his dog, so I don't get to play with her anymore.