Malevolent-Gaming

a sarcastic bas'tad's view on the scene
It is currently Nov 17 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Games
PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 11:29 am 

Is anyone else NOT playing any video games lately?
I haven't sat down to game in.....months. No time. Stupid summer being awesome with warm weather.

Post subject: Re: Video Games
PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 11:39 am 

I went through that this winter, but I am a bit more back in the swing of things.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 11:41 am 

CloudyPrison wrote:
Is anyone else NOT playing any video games lately?
I haven't sat down to game in.....months. No time. Stupid summer being awesome with warm weather.

I've been playing like crazy. Only late at night when it's too dark to be outside though.

Odine wrote:
No I agree, Dngrsdrrn just served you.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 12:08 pm 

I am honestly getting bored of video games. My attention span is getting shorter and shorter. I recently started playing HOMM2 again, and I can only get through a few turns at a time.

I'm starting to feel like I've "played everything" already. At this point, I'm only really interested in games that are either completely different from anything before them, or absolutely shining examples of their already-established genres. Both kinds of games are few and far between.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 12:18 pm 

Entroper wrote:
I am honestly getting bored of video games. My attention span is getting shorter and shorter. I recently started playing HOMM2 again, and I can only get through a few turns at a time.

I'm starting to feel like I've "played everything" already. At this point, I'm only really interested in games that are either completely different from anything before them, or absolutely shining examples of their already-established genres. Both kinds of games are few and far between.

You just need a gaming break. I have gone through this several time. After a few months off, I start wanting to play again.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 1:14 pm 

Entroper wrote:
I am honestly getting bored of video games. My attention span is getting shorter and shorter. I'm starting to feel like I've "played everything" already.

I feel the exact same way. Games don't keep my attention and I'm really bored with the ones I own.
I am also completely dissatisfied with the 'offerings' of the latest E3. It seems like just more rehash of the same of garbage.
Oh, look...Zelda...AGAIN, oh look...motion games, AGAIN, oh look....shilled controller types requiring us to buy a new system....AGAIN.

I guess I'm just getting bored with video games.

But on a separate note, I'm loving board games and card games. Human interaction with people on games such as D&D is really the way to go in such a way that MMOs can never match.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 3:43 pm 

Maybe you both are getting old?

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 4:16 pm 

Reddit talked about this.

This answer explains a lot of how I felt.

Quote:
You do still like games actually. What you're experiencing is a psychological phenomena where having too many choices makes you unsatisfied with all of them. The analogy I read when I learned about this was when you walk into a clothing store and choose from a variety of jeans. Researchers have found that if there are only a few jeans, people will end up significantly happier with their choice than if they have to choose from a huge variety of jeans.
This same problem applies to video games. When you have so, sooo many choices, your mind becomes impossibly difficult to satisfy. You're only willing to settle for the perfect game, and as a result you end up playing nothing. If instead you only had a couple of games to choose from, you would settle for the one that you thought was best and end up enjoying it a great deal.
The same exact behavior can be observed with those with Netflix accounts. Being an avid movie goer, they'll queue up hundreds of movies but end up never watching a single one.
When I was in college and I pirated all my games I had this problem too. I could pick from anything, and yet I never felt like playing anything. Except for Fallout 3. My god did I play Fallout 3.

Like Darren, I only play when there is darkness outside or at random times on the weekends.

PostPosted: Jul 11 2011 6:34 pm 

It's been a long time. I put maybe 5 minutes into Wipeout and 15 minutes into Infamous, when I got those free, then was kind of done. I saw Portal 2 on sale finally last night, and was like, "eh, should I buy it?" and ended up not doing it, despite waiting for several months for a price drop.

I've got like six steam sale games from years past that I've never installed.

It always goes in cycles for me. Left 4 Dead was a long one and a ton of fun. And I'm glad I managed to get Entroper roped back into GT5, as we both dinked around in it a bit then just stopped playing after a couple of weeks. I was like, "WHO HAVE WE BECOME? WE'VE WAITED FOUR YEARS TO JUST PLAY IT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS?!" and we managed a good month or so of racing fun.

The last single player game I played (and actually beat!) was Heavy Rain, well over a year ago.

I need to start God of War II. But so many nights it's hard to even start up a movie, let alone a game. I just want to kind of mellow out and crash. Reddit is a harsh mistress in that respect.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 8:28 am 

Reddit is destroying our free time.

I used to read about programming algorithms and heuristic AI methods and now..../r/pics....all the time..../r/pics and /r/f7u12.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 9:13 am 

I'm going to go play some Rock Band and see if I can nail Red Barchetta.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 10:43 am 

I was inspired by this thread and installed Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour, a game expansion pack I haven't installed for three or four years, despite owning it. SIX HOURS OF GAMING LAST NIGHT, I could easily have gone for six more. But you know. Work, sleep, all that.

It was fun though spending about an hour trying to unpack and re-write ini files so that the game would work properly on a widescreen monitor. Ahhh, PC gaming.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 11:05 am 

MBB wrote:
But so many nights it's hard to even start up a movie, let alone a game. I just want to kind of mellow out and crash. Reddit is a harsh mistress in that respect.

The only difference for me is that after being on a computer all day long at work, I want nothing to do with them when I get home. I stopped playing games for awhile because of that. I don't want to think when I get home. I won't even start a movie because I don't want to be roped into figuring out what it is I want to watch. I just pick a sitcom that's on Netflix and let it play. The nice thing now is that I'm trying to bike everyday when I get home so it keeps me alert and not so sluggish. Now I don't want to sit still.

Odine wrote:

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 12:49 pm 

Sometimes I fall out of gaming hard. Then I remember that, dammit, I make games, which means a) I should see what other peeps are up to, and b) I make them because I love them in the first place.

But I'm still slow as hell.

Recently, hasn't been much. Portal 2, I guess, Dragon Age 2, Red Faction: Armageddon, and now LA Noire. I mean, stuff earlier in the year, yeah, but I'm just talking about the last couple months.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 12:53 pm 

nijimeijer wrote:
Sometimes I fall out of gaming hard. Then I remember that, dammit, I make games, which means a) I should see what other peeps are up to, and b) I make them because I love them in the first place.

But I'm still slow as hell.

Recently, hasn't been much. Portal 2, I guess, Dragon Age 2, Red Faction: Armageddon, and now LA Noire. I mean, stuff earlier in the year, yeah, but I'm just talking about the last couple months.

We have also not had much time for gaming in the last few months.

PostPosted: Jul 12 2011 1:29 pm 

I got another Rock Band blister. I need to get a keytar and try that out.

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 9:30 am 

I find that going to the gym after work gives me a second wind for things in the evening.
Did some A*Pathfinding research last night, learned how Breadth First algorithms work and started looking at a tutorial on pathfinding for C#.
I'd like to do Android and IOS, but I'm already into C# enough to understand it, I'm done RELEARNING something until I've made something concrete in a language I'm already comfortable with...

I find learning about game construction is more enjoyable than gaming right now.

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 11:21 am 

I have been addicted to playing Dominion on my android phone :) Androminion is what the app is called. If you play Dominion (the card game), this game is pretty damn well done :)

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 2:43 pm 

MUST DOWNLOAD!

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 3:59 pm 

I picked up Trine for $2.50 during Steam's summer camp sale. The physics can be a little frustrating at times, but it's a beautiful 2D platformer and lot of fun.

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 6:11 pm 

CloudyPrison wrote:
MUST DOWNLOAD!

If only it was online multiplayer :(

I miss having people to play the actual card game with :'(

PostPosted: Jul 13 2011 9:39 pm 

Well, speaking of games that are completely different, I spent much of today playing this: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

PostPosted: Jul 16 2011 2:02 pm 

I am really getting into KSP. To the point where I've done calculus to measure the efficiency of my rockets. :shock:

PostPosted: Jul 18 2011 9:44 am 

I have been playing Tiny Tower on my phone all day yesterday and today. Press a few buttons, turn it off, press a few buttons an hour later and repeat.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Jul 19 2011 10:17 am 

[quote="Quick Kick"]I have been playing Tiny Tower on my phone all day yesterday and today. Press a few buttons, turn it off, press a few buttons an hour later and repeat.

No Android :\

Odine wrote: